The Waterworks Players next production is Legally Blonde: the Musical. The show opened on Broadway in 2007, receiving 7 Tony and 10 Drama Desk Award nominations. In London the production was nominated for 5 Olivier Awards, winning three, including Best New Musical. Based on Amanda Brown’s novel that was made into a move of the same name, Legally Blonde is the story of Elle Woods, who follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School and defies expectations while staying true to herself. The musical features a peppy, upbeat pop score, a fun book and a huge number of roles, with over 20 singing solos.
Auditions will be Sunday February 12 at 7:30pm and Monday February 13 at 7:30pm, at the Waterworks Theatre on Industrial Park Road in Farmville. We will ask you to perform cold readings from the script. Come prepared to sing a song from the score, or bring 16-32 bars of music in a similar style illustrating your voice and range. Dress in comfortable clothes and shoes you can move in; we will teach a short dance sequence. You do not need to come both nights and do not need to make an appointment in advance.
The cast includes numerous roles for both men and women for the following roles (character ages are given; actors outside these ranges are encouraged to audition):
- Elle Woods (female), 22. A sorority girl who follows her ex-boyfriend to law school, where she realizes there is more to life than what she has experienced.
- Emmett (male), late 20s to 30s. Recent top alum of Harvard Law; assists in Callahan’s class and lends Elle a helping hand.
- Paulette (female), 30s to 50s. Elle’s friend and favorite manicurist. Longing for meaningful romance; provides sound advice to Elle.
- Brooke (female), mid 20s to 30s. A fitness instructor, accused of murdering her wealthy husband.
- Warner Huntington III (male), 22. Elle’s boyfriend all through college at UCLA; bound for Harvard Law and with political ambitions.
- Professor Callahan (male), 30s to 60s. Criminal Law 101 professor, controls a prestigious internship, aims to rid his students of their scruples.
- Vivienne (female), 22. An elitist, image-conscious law student; Warner’s old girlfriend from prep school. Throws a lot of shade at Elle.
- Enid (female), 20s to early 30s. An outspoken and overbearing law student; active in Greenpeace and organizes protests against insensitive cartoons.
- Kyle (male), 20s to 40s. Attractive UPS guy who delivers to Paulette’s salon.
- Serena, Pilar, Margot (female), 20-22. Elle’s Delta Nu sisters. They admire Elle deeply and are very loyal.
- Ensemble, late teens to 50s. Will fill many named roles including Adam and Santik (male, 20s-30s, law students), Judge (female, 40s-50s), Elle’s Mom and Dad (40s-50s), Nikos and Carlos (male, 20s-30s, in courtroom), Chutney (female, 20s-30s, Brooke’s stepdaughter), as well as law students, university officials, and others. Looking for strong dancers, singers, and character actors to play several cameo roles.
In addition, we need a number of stage hands to assist during technical week rehearsals and the four public performances.
The show runs March 31, April 1, April 7, and April 8 at 8pm.
For more information or to volunteer, contact the Waterworks Players at 434-392-3452 or email@example.com.