Waterworks Players is casting Seussical, a fantastical, magical, musical extravaganza, on February 2nd and 3rd. Tony winners Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (Anastasia, Once on This Island, Ragtime) have lovingly brought to life all of our favorite Dr. Seuss characters, including Horton the Elephant, The Cat in the Hat, Gertrude McFuzz, Mayzie and a little boy with a big imagination—Jojo. The colorful characters transport us from the Jungle of Nool to the Circus McGurkus to the invisible world of the Whos.
Longwood theatre graduate Randall Linkins will direct the production.
Auditions for Seussical will be held at Waterworks Players Theatre on February 2nd and 3rd at 7PM and are open to actors of all ages. Those who audition will be asked to prepare lines from their favorite Seuss book and perform cold readings from the script. Prepared lines do not need to be memorized, but they should be practiced to bring out your personality. There are both male and female singing lead parts:
- Cat In The Hat (male or female, age 18 to 35), a mischievous narrator, popping up throughout the story. Strong skills in physical comedy and impersonations needed.
- Jojo (male or female, age 12 to 18), is the Mayor’s child that is always finding trouble. Bright, creative, and inadvertently mischievous.
- Horton (male, age 20 to 40), is an elephant and the show’s main character who is commonly misunderstood because of his larger size.
- Gertrude Mcfuzz (female, age 18 to 35), is Horton’s sweet and timid one-feathered-tail bird neighbor.
- Mr. Mayor (male, age 30-50), oversees Whoville and is Jojo’s father. Seeking a strong comedic actor that is comfortable with physical comedy.
- Mayzie Labird (female, age 20 to 40), is the most eye catching bird in all of the jungle and self-centered in her ways.
- Sour Kangaroo (female, age 25 to 40), is loud, brassy, and stubbornly set in her ways as the leader of the jungle.
- Mrs. Mayor (female, age 30 to 50), is Jojo’s mother and the Mayor’s wacky wife.
- Wickersham Brothers (male, any ages), are the Jungle of Nool’s resident bullies that relentlessly pick on Horton.
In addition to the leads, there are a number of ensemble roles that include residents of Whoville and the Jungle of Nool.
The show runs April 17, 18, 24, and 25 at 7pm. There will be a matinee performance on April 19 at 2pm. The version performed will be a 75-minute one-act adaptation for young audiences.
Seussical (Theatre for Young Audiences) is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. www.MTIShow.com.
This project is supported in part by the Virginia Commission for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Leave a Reply